I am very excited about this event. We are trying something new! NEW
format!! NEW facility to use! NEW collaboration with Kodály Music
Educators of Kansas (KMEK)!
Saturday, October 7, 2017 at the brand new campus of Southeast High
School in Wichita, we will be hosting the SCKMEA Elementary Honor Choir
with Karen Sims as the choir clinician. Ms. Sims is the artistic director for
the Wichita Children's Choir and the vocal music director for Maize South
Middle School. While your students are working with Ms. Sims, there will
be a workshop to attend to get yourself recharged and connected with some
other teachers from the area or you can watch Ms. Sims work with the choir.
Dr. Wendy Valerio will be teaching the workshop entitled: Music Fluency for
Music Literacy - PreK-Grade 5. Dr. Valerio is Professor of Music Education,
Director of Student Teaching, and Director of the Children's Music
Development Center (CMDC) at the University of South Carolina School of
Music where she teaches graduate and undergraduate music methods
courses and conducts early childhood music development research. She is
co-author of Music Play (GIA, 1998 & revision in press), and Jump Right In:
The Music Series (GIA, 2000-present), is a member of the Gordon Institute
for Music Learning Faculty (Early Childhood and Elementary), and a member
of the American Orff-Schulwerk Association. Prior to her graduate studies at
Temple University in Philadelphia, PA, Valerio received a BME degree from
Baker University and taught elementary music in Lawrence, KS.
You may send up to six students from your school to participate and work
with an excellent choir clinician. The choir rehearsals will begin at 8:00 AM
and the concert will be at 12:00 PM. There will be additional workshop time
sponsored by KMEK in the afternoon with Dr. Valerio.
I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, October 7 for a great day of music
SCKMEA Elementary Choir Chair
Music Teacher, Cessna Elementary School
Description of Workshops: Music literacy is dependent on each student's
music fluency. Join us for a fun, active-music-making professional
development seminar designed to assist teachers in engaging students,
PreK-Grade 5, in music fluency that leads to music literacy and independent
musicianship. We will engage in the serious business of music play for
creativity, improvisation, composition, and continuous accountability in a
musically accepting, yet challenging environment. Moreover, we will
investigate practical ways to document students' music development and
achievement in group settings.
SCKMEA Elementary Honor Choir Information
- Honor Choir participation is open to fourth, fifth, and sixth grade students.
- Participating schools should send three students prepared to sing Part I and three students prepared to sing Part II.
- Schools are limited to a total of six students only.
- Students must have the music memorized prior to October 7, 2017.
- Choir students should bring their music on October 7, 2017.
- Dress up clothing is appropriate for choir students for October 7, 2017.
Students should wear their performance clothing to the event as our schedule does not permit time for changing.
- The Honor Choir Concert will begin at 12:00 PM (noon). The concert is free and is open to parents, teachers, and friends.
- A professional recording will be made of the performance. Recordings may be ordered on October 7, 2017.
- T-shirts & plaques will be available for purchase.
Enrollment is a two-step process. You must complete both steps.
- Please enter your six students (must include three Part I singers and three Part 2 singers)
using the online enrollment/registration form.
- The enrollment fee for $10.00 per student must be mailed to Larry Brownlee, SCKMEA
Executive Secretary, 308 E. Washington, Sterling, KS 67579. Please be sure to include school
district name, school name and teacher's name with the enrollment fee. Checks should be made
payable to SCKMEA.
The Honor Choir enrollment deadline is September 19, 2017.
Student entries received after that date may be accepted but cannot be guaranteed inclusion on the shirts, plaques or program.
2017 SCKMEA Elementary Honor Choir Repertoire
[It is common domain and in many round books or one could order Boosey and Hawkes 6350.]
Dansi Na Kuimba
Dave and Jean Perry
2 part $1.85
Hal Leonard 480048859
Old Joe Clark
Hal Leonard P1017
2 part $2.35
Hand Me Down My Silver Trumpet
2 part $2.15
Music is available at Senseney.